Why are Vitamins and Minerals so Important?
Vitamins: Many people are familiar with vitamins and that we need these for our body to function optimally. Some examples are A, B, C, D, E and K. These vitamins support some key functions in the body
- Vitamin A – Aids in cell reproduction, storage of hormones, bone growth and tooth dev
- Vitamin B – Each has its own purpose and supports a variety of different functions in the body
- Vitamin C – Antioxidant properties
- Vitamin D – Functions as a hormone and requires a whole separate section in itself
- Vitamin K – Regulates blood and activates some proteins
Minerals –Minerals are also an important less talked about nutrient that is critical for the body. It is a combination of many nutrients together that help our body function. Minerals help support biochemical reactions in the body. We don’t need large amounts of these trace minerals in our body, however, our body does NOT function properly without them. Listed below are a few minerals and the functions they perform
- Calcium – Regulates the passage of nutrients through the cell walls.
- Potassium – Needed for the body’s growth
- Zinc – Metabolize proteins and carbs, impacts immune system and critical for growth & vision
- Magnesium – Makes new cells and active B Vitamins, relaxes nerves and produces energy
- Vitamin D – Promotes the absorption of Calcium and Magnesium
What is a good multivitamin for kids?
We use Shaklee Incredivites which is a great multi-vitamin for kids. They are all natural and kids love them. It contains a variety of the daily nutrients our kids need. Please Note: Supplements do not give you free reign to allow your kids to eat a bunch of junk food. Kids still need to consume as much of their nutrients as possible from the whole foods that they eat. Taking a multi-vitamin is exactly just that, it supplementsyour daily needs.